Saturday, July 18, 2009

I did the thing where even though the internets are down I write it up and post it later. So this is from a few days ago and earlier today... No biggie. Here ya go...


So it’s late, but I’m too hungry/thirsty to sleep (munchin’ on jerky and Arizona Iced Tea - no worries)… Meanwhile, tonight was the talent show - park wide. One of our own Laurel boys made it to the finals. Cal beat boxed his way to second place in our local talent show - and on a whim! I didn’t go, but from what I hear he just was like “sure, I’ll do it” and DID! Anyway, he rocks, I assure you. He sadly didn’t place but was still good. The pianist won - did two songs, one Motzart, and half way through the Motzart he was blindfolded (mid-note by this girl!) and only MOMENTARILY misplaced his fingers twice. The second place should have gone to Cal, but this two-man comic relief group got it. They did an original song, and it was hilarious, granted. The entire bit was funny… but it’s a TALENT show, not a comedy competition. Third place went to another comic relief guy, who had talent, to be sure… but not as much as some of the others I think. Just a different kind. See, he writes his own songs - on the spot. Which is cool, but the song was a total comic relief kind. He probably placed, not for quality of talent, but quantity. He didn’t just sing, he sang, played guitar, and wrote a song on the spot. If he concentrated on just one at a time, he could probably be quite brilliant. Anyway, there were some great singers - someone even did Bobby McGee. Really well, too.
There were two hilarious things happened. One made me want to shoot the “performer”… A guy did “Can You Feel The Love Tonight” by Elton John… ‘Cept the track he used was the normal song track, not a purely accompaniment track. So he was trying to sing JUST like Elton John - tone, timbre, feel, and attitude, everything…. OVER Elton John!! Everything was horrible. The least he could have done was turned off the mic and given us a visual lip sync performance (except that usually he was a beat fast!) And as was pointed out to me, that sure says something about the talent at Grant. See, the finalists are the top two from each location. And if that’s the second place talent there, I’m depressed!
The other thing was that, as we all know, I live in Laurel dorm. Cal is from Laurel dorm. So EVERY TIME the MC said “Laurel Dorm” EVERYONE from Laurel SCREAMED. It was awesome. He tried it with a few others and it was an occasional “yeah” from a guy or two. Laurel - got a full thirty seconds of cheer! When we got there we all made efforts to sit together, and a friend from another location was like “why?” after the first half I was like “you see why now??” she said we were all crazy as heck. I was like, yeah. So what else is new? Project Laurel yo! It’s great living in a community dorm like this one. Open, more college like than the others that are more apartment like.
Anyway, it was tons of fun and I love my dorm. Living in the Projects ain’t so bad after all.

***

Meanwhile… Michael is getting a new tattoo. I told him that I wished I’d been there for his tattoo, it’s just one more big part of life I’d missed out on. And truly it is. Working a long distance relationship as we are I want to miss out on as little of his life as I can, especially the big life-long things like a tattoo. I told him I rather he could be here for my piercing but I’m not sure I want to wait that long… (and after all he didn’t wait for me, right?) So yes, I will probably get my piercing without him, but that’s not the current point. He said that he wouldn’t mind waiting for me and getting it while I’m out visiting him. Which I’m grateful for. Perhaps he understands, and if nothing else he humors me patiently, right? Anyway, he said - and I quote - “Hell, maybe you can get your own tattoo.” Truth be told I’d been humoring the idea of getting more than just the ring tattoo when I get married…I just hadn’t mentioned it to anyone. Wasn’t sure of two things; one, if it was a big enough whim to follow through with, and two, if there is something meaningful enough to get. I’m thinking, if I get anything, it’ll be on the feet. One, the other, or both I don’t know. What it’d be, I don’t know. Maybe something music-y. We all know how big a deal music has always been… And what’s more, this could be a very cool experience for Michael and I to share - both of us getting a tattoo at the same time, being there for each other, and et cetera. I’m not entirely sure if I want it - not 1000% like I am with the piercing. But I’m going to wait until after the piercing because I think it’ll help push me one way or the other in my decision. Either after my piercing, I will probably either REALLY want it or not want it at all. We’ll see.
Mebbe I can put up the three pics I've been really looking at...

No comments:

Post a Comment