Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Canada....

On the fourth day of the trip....
After dropping Chris off at the Amtrak, I left back north for Canada. Now, remember how I said they're peculiar and specific but no two the same? Going through by myself, the guard didn't seem to car at all about my car. Didn't ask me what I had - plants food pets. Didn't ask me if I had weapons or alcohol or money. Asked where I was going. Why? Can you prove it? Have an email saying you have the job? Not printed, well don't you have an iphone or something? No?! Well...

He let me through. To set your mind at ease. But BOY did he not want to! Couldn't believe I didn't have proof I had a job. Couldn't believe I didn't have an iPhone. Then when I told him I didn't know exactly what the names of the Canadian towns were but simply that I was planning on driving til sundown and catching a hotel room he looked even MORE dubious. Hmph! The other guy didn't care! But this time, at least, I didn't get my car tossed.

So I get through. But I get lost. I know I need Trans-Canada 1. But... I took it East. Then went, EAST?! I NEED NORTH! So I turned around. Almost made it to Victoria (for those who don't know - that's WAY the wrong way.) before going wait... when I looked at the map, it showed it going east THEN north.... ok! So I turned around- for the second time- and went BACK down that stretch of highway. And was finally correct. But I didn't have a map with me. I didn't have directions. My silly self was relying on Chris knowing everything. The man kept talking about the Al/Can and it should be so easy and he seemed to know exactly what he was talking about. Well, he didn't get in, did he?

So on my own, relying on a half-remembered image of a map. Yeah, anyone who knows me and my LACK of directional sense is already cringing. Well, ladies and gentlemen - assuming either still exist - I went basically the right way. See, if you pull it up on a map it kind of looks like an 8 in there. Two separate sides of the eight that meet at Prince George then again farther up. I haven't QUITE reached Prince George yet. I stopped at a very small truck-stop of a town Alavon or something like that. The hotel up here is cute and quaint. I don't know many that would actually like it though. It's got a bit of an old broke-down feel. Internet is shabby, phone service is nonexistent, TV isn't worth bothering with. But it's got a tub, a comfy bed, and the woman who's running it while her friend who actually runs it is out of town is a nice woman. Very chatty. Two men downstairs that seemed nice and welcoming. Another older guy who lives in the RV outside with his old dog.

The kind woman informed me that I only went a little out of my way.. Basically - should have taken the left side of the loop  - the west side - and took the east instead. Quite on accident. Funny part is that I MEANT to go down the road she suggested and just didn't hit all the right exits on time. Wound up on the wrong side and kept going. I'm close to Valemount, but still south. In the morning, I head out for Valemount and then cross the invisible eight to take the west side up the coastal side, through Whitehorse. I know I will get well beyond Prince George tomorrow. Perhaps even up to Whitehorse? Wouldn't that be something.

I've been taking pictures. I can't get my computer to upload them like I want them to just now however, so I will try back again. I will let you know when I get them up so you can look back and scroll through. I have some awesome pictures. Mumford (my cousin's tree fairy) in several. I take more pictures when I have someone to put in them, I've noticed.

Anyway. That's what I've got for now. Update you again later. Last word - still alive. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment