Saturday, June 6, 2009

So today was my Monday. I realize that it's actually Saturday, but regardless. And it was one HECK of a Monday. I would say everything that could DID go wrong- but I said that to a line cook and he argued it. "Really?? EVERYTHING? Your hair caught fire and your food all sucked and you cut yourself badly and..." ok - so not everything. But AGH!
One of my co-workers turned in his 8 day notice, and then was a no-call no-show today. Turns out he decided to up and leave. Well fine, I understand how he's sticking it to the man - Xanterra our employer. I understand his need/want and his reasons. But does he have to screw me and the rest of the pantry crew over in the process? We all scrambled like chickens with our head cut off trying to get it all done. See, during lunch there are four of us in the pantry typically. A line person (me), a buffet runner, the breakfast buffet runner prepping for tomorrow, and a prep guy to work on our prep list (the no-show coworkers job). In effort to do HIS job and ours, I did extra prep AND Bear Paw Deli stuff before I did my line, ran late prepping my line AND burned my thumb, and I stayed late an hour. The entire morning and night crew in the pantry at once trying to do our jobs and his. UGH! The only real upside is that now we truly know there is no small job in that kitchen and EVERYONE is vital.
I also changed my opinion on the call-in people who aren't really sick. I went from "well it's your choice, your honour" essentially to "that is not ok, you're screwing over your entire crew needlessly"
So yeah, that's my rant and my Monday. Burned my thumb on my right hand in the middle of the lower joint - you use that for everything. And then I had to wear laytex gloves all day that hold in the air, which held in the heat. Hurt! I held a lot of ice to that burn over the day.

BUT! Such is life, I suppose. Life goes on, and at the end of the day I somehow still love my job. I hate my boss - Xanterra admitedly sucks.... But I LOVE my job and the crew I work with so it's easy to forget I work for Xanterra. Sometimes it does feel like I've been here already forever. Like this summer will drag on into a hundred years without anyone realizing it. But sometimes it feels like the summer flies by...

OH! One thing I've noticed with irony!! The only thing to do in Yellowstone, really, is walk. Which is fine, it's beatiful and the air is fresh and you can smell the rain when it falls... But we - all of us that work in the Inn, and especially us in the kitchen or dining room, work ALL day on our feet, walking/running around etc. At the end of the day all we want to do is relax. On our days off WALKING is hardly on our list of things we want to do. No wonder no one has seen all that much of Yellowstone for having been here a month. Sigh. Cest la vie, right? I think that's how you spell it. Crys'll correct me if it's not.

Anyhow, that's pretty much all I say anymore. Such is life. Such is life. Such is life. So I'll talk to you all later when there is something else worth saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment