Saturday, August 15, 2009

presidential day at the OFI...

Ok, so today was big President Day… Ugh. It was really rather interesting, though. First off, when I get to work at seven, usually there are maybe two people in the pantry area - our breakfast buffet person and our sous chef if s/he happens to be there. VERY empty and quiet. Today I came in, there was our normal breakfast buffet person…plus. Greg, Buddha, Chef Chapman, Chef Dave, Cheryl, Chris, Joe, Celeste… I think that was it. ALL in the pantry area. Our area barely fit them all. So they do all the cooking, plating, etc. They’ve all been here since around six. Poor people. There were two people with that party in the kitchen. One was secret service, and -I think- the other was a White House chef. Celeste told me she spoke to a White House head chef, so I’m guessing that was the one not in a black suite. I wanted to talk to one or the other, but didn’t get the chance. The other was a Navy guy, going on seventeen years (almost up for pension)… Anyway, so yeah, extra people galore, on top of the kitchen people and the White House people, there were a few other people supervising the exchange…
Then, the President was supposed to picnic but the weather was bad (it was cold and overcast… wooo) so he instead was at the Snow Lodge, upstairs somewhere. So everything was packed into a van or whatever and everyone trouped over to the Snow Lodge - but only Chef Dave and Chef Chapman got to go upstairs where the President was. It turns out that at the time he was out on a bike ride, so he didn’t meet the president after all. (Mind you I’m still in the kitchen doing my normal stuff) So it was quite interesting morning, nothing completely serious (partly because Cheryl, Chris, Buddha, Joe, and myself are almost incapable of being completely serious)…
Then lunch comes. And it occurs to me… They SHUT DOWN the Inn, the parking lot, the Snow Lodge - EVERYTHING for the President. No one goes in or out. Meaning, all those people, standing out there waiting to see the President go by, aren’t getting back in the Inn until Security allow it. So lunch was REALLY slow. Which was nice for a Friday, if boring. The only big deal was that the press was here, and they were VIPs meaning their food gets up on the window ASAP… and they all ate in the bar which means tons of sandwiches, but that only took maybe fifteen minutes. So the doors were closed from about 8 am and let open again at about 2:15ish pm. Doors for lunch close at 2:35, so not many people go in, though there was a rush forming. It was so quiet and calm, I sanitized EVERYTHING on my line, made sure everything was stocked, and talked to a girl - Gwen - who is usually hot line and showed her how to make EVERYTHING I do pretty much. It was fun, but she got sent home early cuz there was nothing for her to do. I was like “Chris, there is nothing for ME to do” but he said “yeah, but you’re essential” because I work the line, I am necessary if any tickets whatsoever come through. Which is nice, I rather like being essential… But for the last fifteen minutes of work both Greg and I just essentially wondered the kitchen waiting for time to pass by… Then, now, onto my weekend. So yeah that was our presidential day. Chef Chapman eventually got to meet him but there was really very little to do with him, mostly just the food.
Really not much to report, but I said I would so there you go.
It was Celeste's last day which was sad, I'm gonna miss her. I miss Casey too... Sigh. Well, life goes on. I have a month and a half, roughly.
Yep, nothin' else to say really... I'm going to the pub tonight cuz dinner sucked. Jeff was prep, so Mark cooked, and he usually kinda sucks. He puts zero effort into anything. Baked fried chicken just doesn't look good. WAY salty gravy with mashed-tatoes... Nope, pizza is good.
So yeah, g'night all, Talk atcha later.

No comments:

Post a Comment