Sunday, July 10, 2011

DDR - Dum Dum Revalation

Last night someone gave me some dumdums. Today doing laundry I've already gone through both. Dumdums are my favorite. They're SMALL which I like because I don't have a huge sweet tolerance, and I love suckers. Doing laundry today I was pondering just that. It's occurred to me I most certainly have an oral fixation.
People who have known me since childhood could vouch that I've always put everything in my mouth. My favorite necklace when I was younger with the hearts on it that fell off the bracelets Mom got me ALWAYS went in my mouth. Everything always goes in my mouth. I play with my lips and tongue when I have nothing else.
It's rather undeniable once I've thought about it. The irony is that most oral fixations surface as smoking or chewing gum. Neither of which do I do. I don't smoke because I can't do that to my lungs - though I admit to trying it a few times. I don't chew gum because it hurts my jaw after a time. I love dumdums because after the candy is gone I can hold onto the stick until it's wound paper substance disintegrates between my teeth.
I looked into it just briefly online just now. There's a Freudian theory that marks oral fixations as a psycho sexual issue. I'm not sure about that, but whatever. The funny thing to me was when I came upon a thread of answers to "how do I fix my oral fixation problem".... The best answer by far was one person saying that they used to be awful but now they have almost no problem at all - now that they've gotten their tongue pierced. Now there's something in the person's mouth 24/7 and they don't feel the urge to put anything else there.
Don't worry Mom, I can't get it pierced even if I wanted to. Not working in F&B for Xanterra. Which makes total sense. You can HAVE a pierced tongue and work for Xanterra in F&B but you have to put in a retainer at work - and you can't change your jewelry just after getting it pierced. So no worries. I'm not getting my tongue pierced.

I seem to have "problems" that aren't really problems coming to my attention out of the very woodwork this summer. I've already decided that all kitchen workers probably have undiagnosed ADD or something - all have attention span problems and fidgety hand problems. And god KNOWS I fidget. Now I've come to realize my probably apparent oral fixation. What's next I wonder? Last year I discovered my wanderlust "problem".

No comments:

Post a Comment