Friday, July 15, 2011

The Worst Day So Far In Paradise

Today was my longest and most stressful day yet. So much so that I decided it was noteworthy.
I was to get in at five this morning. Unfortunately I woke late and got in at five thirty this morning. Luckily the AM sous, while he was testy with me at first, was understanding and knows it won't happen twice and we're okay. So I'm getting breakfast up. And Kevin Proper comes down to remind me that I had class that day. To which I FLIPPED OUT! Late twice within six hours. But everyone was kind to me at the class (of five students, myself included), and it went well. Except my stress levels skyrocketed at it being pizza day and me not being there and the primary cook not being there and my EDR lead not being there and the cook that WAS there - usually the prep only - has a tendency to break down over the stress and pressure of it all.
OH! And I nearly forgot. I didn't get breakfast because I was so rushed. I had a cup of milk. On my way up to class I got a cup of coffee, and during a ten minute break I got another one.
After class I managed to get two slices of pizza for lunch, but I as still starving of course.
During dinner I tried to put together my first schedule with the F&B manager, but my cook kept having breakdowns and I'd have to help her and talk her down basically. F&B finally just left - it was late in her day and she was supposed to be off two hours ago. The problem? She took the schedule with her - THE CURRENT SCHEDULE! Of course, I can't leave until I get it BACK! I go FRANTIC. Looking everywhere, trying to find it or her number or anything. Nothing nothing nothing. Finally I notice my red sharpie in the office. I use a red sharpie because it's the ONLY ONE in the kitchen. I KNEW it was mine right away. So the rest HAD to be there. Finally I found it - tucked behind the computer monitor. Why? I dunno. So finally - at 7:10 pm I find the schedule, dinner is done, I'm confident things will be okay, and I can leave. But first! I have to check with my Head Chef Katie because I'm written as having tomorrow off but we're NOT SURE if I really can have it. After a brief conversation it's decided I'll come in at eight tomorrow, and at that point we'll decide if I can have my one-day-weekend. My next day off otherwise will be Thursday. Luckily, when you're salaried, working six days in a row qualifies you for a three day weekend. Which is nice. But I'd rather take a break from the madness sooner than that.
Now I'm going to go shower and shave and head to the pub for dinner because I haven't had anything to eat today but those two (small) pieces of pizza. Coffee, lots of water, a few cups of milk, and a five hour energy have basically been what's keeping me alive. And I only got three or four hours of sleep - which is why I accidentally overslept I think.
AND my knife slipped in my hand and the heel of it punctured the side of my palm about an inch below my pinky finger... and yesterday the dish machine soap dispenser managed to slit my middle finger open a little. Just enough to make it pull painfully every time I try to open my finger all the way.
So yeah. That's my life right now. :) I love my job. I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment