Tuesday, February 19, 2013

...Chicken...

Our new summer job has finally been confirmed! After much searching and a little bit of being turned down, Chris and I got the one job we REALLY wanted. Well, two technically.
In little bitty Chicken, Alaska (Home Page Here), there is a diner that in previous years has been run and operated by one woman. The owner who hired us said that wasn't really the best plan. So I will be the manager and Chris will be the cook. Our new boss said he will probably be hiring one other guy to cover our days off. The amazing part is that this diner is actually a food trailer. For those of you who don't know, Chris and I are planning on owning our own food trailer within three years. PERFECT experience for that. :D
So we've been doing a bit of research, naturally, and found a menu from years past. Buffalo burgers, beef burgers, reindeer sausage, bbq chicken, chili, cold cut sandwiches. Then another menu, probably a more recent one as it had all the old stuff but had been expanded almost three times its size, and added on a lot of home made desserts. Home made pies and cinnamon rolls and potato salad and coleslaw....
I'm excited.
I LOVE the dark side. Chris dabbles in it now and then, but I know I have the talent and practice to take over home made desserts. I know people love my cinnamon rolls, I would rather make cookies instead of pie but I DO have an awesome pie crust recipe somewhere. I want to introduce my mashed potato doughnuts.
All the savory stuff will be an awesome breeze. It's all short-order cook stuff, and Chris is a master short-order cook. I can cook ANY breakfast on a flattop. I can make awesome chicken soup and Chris can make some awesome chili I believe. I think we can really take this diner to the next level.
Both Chris and I had this marked as the job we wanted most out of all that we applied for. It's going to be one heck of an adventure, and it'll be a lot of work, but I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment