Monday, February 25, 2013

Purging the old, gaining the new.

One of my favorite things bout moving all the time is the purging. I'm not one of those sentimental people that keep everything. I have a few things that I've kept forever in my room at my folks house. I have a few things that I've kept with me time after time... But primarily I actually enjoy the purge. I used to, every couple of years, go through and get rid of clothes, books, all sorts of old possessions. I didn't use it anymore, didn't need it anymore... Now I can do so every few months. And it's awesome. Freeing myself of more and more material things I put less and less stock in material things. While I enjoy walking through the touristy shops and looking at all sorts of things. Enjoy looking at beautiful rocks, incredible little collectible statues, posters, etc. Then I leave the store and go to the next one. I don't have to buy any of it. I don't feel the need to. If it serves no purpose, why?
It's like the George Carlin bit about STUFF. People are all about STUFF. Having more STUFF than the next guy. Better STUFF. And when you get too much STUFF for your current residence, you either get a storage unit or a bigger place.... All for your STUFF. Not me.
I know a guy who boils down to a backpack. Anything he gets over the season he gets rid of by the end. Boils right back down to that backpack. He travels with ease. He's the happiest guy I know. It's awesome.
I boil down pretty small. I have a three piece set of luggage that I use, and I always have extra space. Always have extra STUFF that I don't use. Clothing I don't wear. I keep things that I WANT to wear but still I don't.
As I purge time after time year after year, I have kept thinking about what I need versus don't need. Use versus don't use. The more I free myself of the more I appreciate what I have. The more I value what I do use and the more I realize I can do without.
There are things I want. There are things I will never get rid of. Still, at the end of the day, those clothes are just clothes. Those books are just books. Nothing that I'll die without. Still, I don't need those nick-nacks.
As we get closer to our travel date, we are working on purging. Deciding what to take with us. As we are flying instead of driving we have to really cut it back. One carry on, one checked. Max per person. I'm excited. I'm excited to leave behind more stuff. Clothes, laptop, a few books, a little craft stuff. Truly, what else do I need? When we get there I want to buy fishing rods. And a puppy, but Chris says no.
So those are my thoughts on purging. It's good for you. I think everyone should do it more often. I know far too many people put far too much stock in material possessions. Too many people don't even know what they have anymore they have soo much STUFF.
Last thought - PURGE PEOPLE! It's GOOD FOR YOU! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment