Monday, February 18, 2013

Old blog, new purpose

Nomads, vagabonds, tramps, gypsies. Travelers. All in different capacities. Tramps and vagabonds tend to travel constantly typically by foot begging. Never seeking more than perhaps an odd job for food, they just keep moving and begging. Not my style. Gypsies I've learned have their own completely unique lifestyle and culture that I know very little about. Nomads are simple travelers that travel mostly out of necessity. Following the animals, plants, seasons. They travel to survive. I suppose I'm somewhere between a gypsy and a nomad. I figure the most accurate thing I could come up with is a seasonal nomad. I choose this life, so while I travel out of necessity it's also by choice. I don't travel constantly but seasonally. It seems to fit. I get restless easy. Six months in any given place is long enough. Pretty soon "comfortable" turns into "stagnant." But I act like this happened on purpose. Like I "designed" this life for myself. Yeah right. Four years later, I'm just now getting to the "design" aspect of my life. See, I needed a job after high school. Save some money, have an adventure, then settle into "life" as we know it. So I applied to a bunch of places. I discovered http://www.coolworks.com/ and went wild. Wound up in Yellowstone. It was incredible. Beautiful places, interesting people, stories to be shared, sights to see. However, in six months we all knew it would end. We'd all go our own separate ways again. And that was ok. Because of the time crunch friendships happened faster. People got closer faster. It was like a time warp, where everything was sped up. More intense. One would see romantic relationships formed under such intensity, and others crack and break. It reminds me of making diamonds. Lump of coal - or people - under intense heat and pressure... Sometimes it's beautiful, even if not romantic it's incredible. I've met some people I will never let go. And sometimes you wind up with a cracked, dense lump of coal of a relationship failed. I've had that happen too. In both friendship and romantic means. It's because of the time warp. So the season ends and I go back home. Out of the time warp into normal time. And it's.... slow. What was steady before became stagnant faster. What was acceptable now ground on me. It felt as if I wasn't just standing still for a time but that I was actively moving backward. So I went back out the next summer to Yellowstone. And the next one. And the next one. Four summers in Yellowstone later, now I'm wintering on a mountain and in a month this season will be over and I will be off to Chicken, Alaska for the next adventure. I'm no longer breaking between summers but taking smaller breaks between seasons. I'm also making the lifestyle easier for me. By the end of this summer season I hope to have an rv/motorhome. I also want a pet sometime. And in a few years I want my own food truck/trailer. Travel still, seasonal still, but work for myself. Put out my own product. Oh, and did I mention I'm not alone? Someone I met in the time warp of Yellowstone has joined me on my adventures. Someone of like mind even. He's been doing seasonal work longer than I have, and loves the traveling and seeing new things/places meeting new people. Our relationship, though it wasn't romantic from the start, was forged in that seasonal time-warp so we are confident that the seasonal time-warp that has killed so many relationships (including three of our own) will not destroy us. This time next year, we see ourselves traveling to our next summer job in our motorhome - we found a half-converted old school bus we'd LOVE to finish - with our puppy. Hopefully a bulldog. I would ADORE a bulldog puppy. AH! But to the main point. Old blog, new purpose. I'm sure it's self-evident by now. I started this when I thought it would only be one summer in Yellowstone. Now it's my adventures for who knows how many more years. I will be getting a nice camera soon and be posting pictures. I will be updating this much more frequently, I swear. It'll be a fun ride, and I'm glad to have this chance to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment