Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Vision

When I say that I plan on living full time with my loving boyfriend out of a 21 foot conversion van at least summers and hopefully winters for the foreseeable future, what do you think?

I have come to realize that the reason people look at me sideways, give me the "it isn't what you think" lecture, so forth.... is because it isn't what anyone thinks.
Everyone, no matter who you are or what you do or how you live, has ideas of this life-style. Maybe you've thought about it as an awesome vacation. Maybe you've thought about it as a terrifying thing your child is opting to do with her life. Maybe you've thought longingly about doing a similar thing for yourself and being free of your current life. Regardless of the why, we all have our own version of how it would play out.

Let me share mine. I envision no golden-brick roads and no easy ride. For most of you that know me, you know I never really have. I envision a work in progress. As I see it, that's all life is. That's all you or I are. That's all our van is. Work in progress.

I want to turn myself into my own boss, owning my own traveling food cart going on adventures. I know this will mean a TON of work and for the first season or two I will probably miss almost ALL adventures just simply trying to get it right. I know I have personality issues I need to get past in order to make this work. I know I have money issues I have to get past to make this work. Finding suppliers in each area will suck. Getting licensed in each area will be a pain. Being the self-motivator and self-starter to such an extreme will be a challenge. I realize this. I also see enjoying my job immensely, sharing my creations and my pride and love with the world one place at a time. I envision seeing sights and meeting people and hearing stories. I don't envision getting rich, only getting by. I envision working hard and potentially never retiring. But I envision being happy and working hard. That's good enough for me.

Our work in progress van has two big issues right now - being water-proof and new brakes. Musts before we launch our first adventure with it. Beyond that, I envision slowly building onto it to make it JUST how we want it over the seasons. I envision doing maintenance and upkeep, that things will break. I envision it guzzling gas no matter what we do. Not always finding places to hook it up. Sleeping in rest stops and showering in truck stops. I envision getting a tent with a bug net and a small BBQ for outdoor stuff. Pulling into a parking lot and not being afraid of taking too long exploring. I envision having to fold out the bed every night.

My life is no more sunshine and roses than yours is. I don't hold illusions of grandeur that would suggest my life is any greater or easier. Just different. And as you deal with the bumps in your road, I know I'll have bumps in mine. I know I will have to deal with them.

So next time you think about your vision of my lifestyle, reconsider. For all those that expect I'm not thinking rationally and realistically, may I suggest that you do the same? As I know it's not all sunshine and roses, I know it's not all hardship and things going wrong. Therefore, I'm excited.

That's my vision - excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment