Sunday, May 10, 2009

First days!

This is actually an email that I sent to people back home before I decided to blog...
Ok, so I live in the Laurel dorm next to the Old Faithful Inn.

I'm in the pantry. I've got six others and our supervisor, so there's 8 of us in all. I'm getting along well with all of them, they're all super. I'm one of two girls, and the other girl is actually from Oregon - Albany. We're getting along especially well.

The uniforms are okay, but I still complain about them being mens (and mens pants don't fit right around girls curves!!!) and about the shirt being see-through. It's white and black checkered pants, white shirt, white apron, and chefs hat. You'll get pics soon.

We:
Put box lunches together,
Make most of the quick-serve sauces (like cocktail and horseradish)
Make most cold-served items
I THINK make sandwiches
Prep things, like veggies, for other uses. Today, for instance, I sliced oranges for Robert on the line to use for garnish.

Oh, I nicked myself with a knife today. All good, nothing loped off, but frustrating cuz I'm supposed to be smarter than that. I figure, though, that it was bound to happen sooner or later, and I'd rather sooner while there are no customers.
The Inn opens Friday - I think everything opens Friday... So we have until then for training and memorizing the menu. Luckily there are books that tell the recipes so we don't have to be completely memorized right off the bat.

Living here is interesting. Dorm style is actually working really well for me, I'm quite enjoying myself. The EDR (Employee Dining Room) style of eating is a little odd.... Kind of like high school except better food and seconds and such. Yeah, there are odd things and down sides, but for the most of it it's amazing and I'm having a blast and I adjusted right away. The season isn't open right now and it's all rain/snowy, but y'all should come see it. When I remember I could even tell you the least busyiest times. AND if memory serves, if I-since I work here- book your stay, you'll get something like 20 percent off... :D

And that's that! I haven't seen Old Faithful go off yet, but I have seen it. Apparently some of the people in my dorm are being written up for peeing on the geyser. Which is primarily because they went off the boardwalk. Because it's a geyser, the crust of the Earth around it is fairly thin, so you don't know if you'll burn yourself by stepping on a hotspot, or breaking through the crust with your weight, so they built a boardwalk above the ground that's save and that's what you're to stay on. But yeah, interesting people. A lot of partiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment