Sunday, May 10, 2009

Second Email

Update time, I suppose.

OFI (Old Faithful Inn) opened today. I worked 8 to 4, and ran the line for the Pantry. Which means sandwiches and salads primarily - and deserts, but almost no one ordered anything. SO MANY BLTS ORDERED! Greg, my supervisor, was talking to me telling me he didn't understand - you travel so far, spend so much money to come here, and then all you order is a BLT?? But ya know, it's comfortable, so they do it. Whatever. It's a lot of fun running the line. Last night for the "Shakedown" which is a practice run for the Inn I was the buffet runner, which was also a lot of fun. Haha, I'm liking everything so far. :D It's ALL a lot of time on your feet, though, since you're standing the ENTIRE shift. The best jobs right now, I think, are ones where you walk a lot because my poor aching feet are ignorable when I'm wakling and doing things. Standing still seems to emphasize everything. Uhm... Oh - I went for a long walk the other night. Left a few hours before sundown, came back an hour or so after. It was fun. Got a little lost at the end. Tried going to the Old Faithful Lodge, not the Inn... Looks a LOT familiar at night. But made my way home alright. I was doing really well too - didn't get lost at all until the end, and didn't get paranoid at night - until I saw the bones. Then I freaked out about bears and crap. I'll try to attach a pic of them to show you. It was after dark and my flashlight caught the white of the bones and I got SO paranoid that a bear would eat me. It was kind of funny in hindsight.
Tomorrow I go in at 8 - another 8 to 4 shift. The scary part is that Greg, my supervisor, won't be there until 9. I'll be the ONLY PANTRY PERSON! I'm a little nervous, but it's just an hour and just prep stuff. And Chef Mike will be in the kitchen, and he's REALLY approachable and stuff, so it'll be ok. I showed my cup to Greg, and told him it sings. I didn't make it sing, though, because it's rather loud. Thanks, Mom! I love it. Everyone else has blue Yellowstone mugs, and mine stands out. Which is good cuz Greg and I stash ours in the same spot. I really like where I am so I hope I don't get moved. Kichen Crew - which is still TECHNICALLY what I am - can be moved all the time. Chef Mike told us he started in the dish room, but only worked six shifts there before he was moved somewhere else. So I hope I stay stationed in the pantry all summer, it's so much fun and I work with great people. I hope no one gets moved. We did get two new people today. The were stationed elsewhere and got moved to the pantry (see?) one guy I already know and he's from the warehouse, and he's cool. He'll fit in well. I was picking on him today asking "if I stand here and talk to you enough will I screw you up?" and he said "no, just a pleasant distraction" Good answer, right? Haha, so yeah, he can stay. The other guy I haven't talked to much but he seems ok.
I got so bored today in between tickets I started singing to people. I dance very minimally, but I sing a LOT. :D I'm not the only one though.
OH MY GOSH! Before I forget, there is a guy here who totally reminds me of Petey. His name is Robert, and he is in the Prep room (I Think - either that or on the hot line...). He has almost the same body shape as Petey, is a little darker and has a slight Mexican accent... but he has the same super-sweet looking face and nice personality that you automatically like them. It was hilarious because as soon as I saw him I thought of Petey.
Oh, and a friend of mine... Kimmy... is in the hospital. Either because she's super sick - cuz she was yesterday - or because she screwed up her shoulder, because she told me she had. So yeah, don't be terribly concerned. We just hope it isn't too bad and I hope it's sick not shoulder. If it's shoulder and it's bad she might end up being sent home or switched to something other than what sheis right now - either server or server assistant, I cna't remember... Server assistant - my roomie just reminded me. She's really cool by the way. My roomie. Alliya. Our fav. colour is red - both of us - and we both have red sheets and lots of stuff like that.
Uhm... Ok, the first pic is Lindsay, she lives in my dorm and works with me. Her, me, and one other guy are like the "happy crew" of the pantry because we're always cheerful and happy. I even sing and Lindsay even skips. It's hilarioius. The head chef - Chef Mike - LOVES it. The next pic is the bones I found. Looks like the balk half of a spine and a pelvis bone.
So yeah, that is my update. If I missed anything, I'm sure it'll come up again later. I'm trying to send as many pics as possible, but the internet here is so slow....

No comments:

Post a Comment