Saturday, September 26, 2009

Interesting weekend...

So go figure, having posted the six days blog just what... Yesterday? I'd already have so much to say. More than enough has already happened.

I don't know if it's on the news at all... On one hand it's close enough to the Old Faithful area - and therefore people - to have been, but on the other hand it kind of is just another fire in a national park. There have been not even 20 all season, which makes it a light fire season. Which really just means there is a ton of dry underbrush accumulated. It hasn't been raining for a long while too. Cold, sure, but very little precipitation.
It started four days ago, lightning strike. Lightning means natural means they don't fight it. If it's natural they have a "let it burn" policy. It smoldered one day and popped up three days ago. Last I checked - last night - it was roughly 20 miles from the Old Faithful area. People anticipate that they're going to want to keep this area from getting burned if it gets close enough. Primarily the historic OFI. I believe that, but I know if it gets to that point I'll already be gone. If the fire gets within 10 miles of here we evacuate. It was at 20 last night. oThe problem is that forest fires move fast. Too fast. They already fought it a little - and hard - to prevent it from getting to power lines. We all know how fast and scary fires are through power lines. And yes, even out here we have them. They even had to use helicopter drops, from what I heard. And my source got her info from the park Rangers themselves.
The other problem is that forest fires are a little unpredictable. It could just as easily already be heading away... I myself don't know. I don't know anything more recent than 8ish last night.
And here's why!!
My other even was a friend of mine getting so drunk he almost tried to jump out of his second story window. Another friend pulled him back in and while Drunk Boy slept it off, three of us stayed with him ALL night to make sure he was ok. I didn't HAVE to be there but I was so concerned and I wasn't going to ditch any of them, you know? The other two had to be there, the only way the Park Rangers weren't going to take him to jail was if someone stayed with him. And if they took him in, we knew it wouldn't be the small one in our area - it would be the big on in Mammoth. And every employee knows once you're in the Mammoth jail, you're fired. You're gone. So basically those two saved his life and his job. I know I was just there for the ride. But you know, I think it wouldn't've been the same had I bailed. I'm glad I was there...
So yes, lots of events. We stayed up with him until 6 this morning when we dragged him to breakfast. At that point I came home and slept until noon, and those two went to thier rooms, one with Drunk Boy. I don't know what happened after that. He's fine though and I know he made it in to work on time. After all that there's NO way he didn't go in.
Later today - once I am done with this and my second 'breakfast' I'm going to start packing and cleaning. Half for going home, and half just in case they evacuate...
I was almost nervous all last night that it could speed that close to us overnight. I mean, I know it could - a firefire moving ten miles in HOURS. No big deal. That's why we evacuate within 10 miles. I was nervous that it would, and I wouldn't be here so I wouldn't be able to pack or whatever.
But all is well now. At least for a while. And my practicle side says it won't get close enough and my last six days will pass without much excitement. You know me - I have a tendency to go in and go out with very little pomp and circumstance. All well.
That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment