Monday, September 7, 2009

Recognition rocks

Hey everyone! Guess what?!
So well, first off, today was rather depressing. A bunch of our Asian girls are leaving and for a bunch of them their last day was today. Sad. Like, people crying and lots of hugs and pictures and email exchanges and stuff. I’m not the type to cry - especially in public, but even I was thoroughly downed.
But life goes on, right? It has to. The restaurant continues to function and people just cycle through… sigh.
Meanwhile, I got a promotion! WOOT!
It's a small one, the one I'm sure you heard about before that Buddha and Lindsay got - Pantry Lead. Well, Buddha was our AM pantry lead and he's gone now. So Jessica told Greg I got the position! And Greg came up to me and was like "did you know? Yeah apparently you did, Jessica just told me" and stuff - like, we were both kinda confused. There was no pomp and circumstance, but I didn't expect that. Just that there was no confirmation or anything like that, no formal "you have the position" from anyone. All well!
It's not really a big change. Pantry Lead is supposed to keep people on track, make decisions when no one else is available or it's not a big enough deal to bother a Sous, know all about what goes on and etc rules and regs and stuff, stuff like that. So nothing is changing. I make snap decisions sometimes, I don't cry to Greg every time someone asks me a question. I know all about everything because I've been paying attention and WANT to know. And no one really needs kept on track. While I'm there Greg is almost always there and the buffet people. No one to yell at. It will be nice, though, for that add of authority while all these new people come streaming in and out and stuff. I AM the only original left other than Greg in the pantry, so I do know and I would feel jipped if I heard someone else got it. Like, I don't think that being here the longest gives me right to it, but I feel over that period of time I've earned it, ya know?
So really it's just a title and a small fifty cent-ish pay raise... but it'll also look great on my resume! And I just feel good, just knowing that these people think I deserved it. I guess it's one of those "recognition from your superiors" thing. Confidence boost - I really actually AM good at my job. I can do this. :D

1 comment: