Saturday, May 21, 2011

Exploits...

I had one weekend already and, much to my surprise, tomorrow seems to be my Friday again already. When the news of that hit me I was thoroughly shocked. I couldn't believe a week has past already. Truly, not a week quite yet, but as this is the end of Thursday and tomorrow begins the last day of the week I feel I can say a week has passed.

Today I was to be in from 8 to 5. That was my allotted shift. But the girl to take the morning shift - woman, I suppose as she is 69 as of yesterday - had never worked it by herself before. Matt, my manager, suggested he would come in and show her even though this is his Saturday directly after I suggested I come in early. What is two hours? Well, truly, a lot. Right now, we're not allowed to have over time. Will - the park EDR manager - would come down on Matt if I got over time, who would then come down on me, I'm sure. In the end I did in fact come in at six, as I will tomorrow, and took long clocked out breaks to make up that time. I ended up clocking out at four, an hour early, and just "hanging out" to make sure dinner was up on time - and to eat. All in all the point of this story is to say that this was the longest day I've had in quite a while. Technically I worked a normal eight hour day. Sure. But you and I both know that even if you clock out for two hour long "lunch breaks" to bring your working hours down to eight, being at work from six to five makes for a longer day than that. Strangely, though, I feel more energetic and less wore out than I usually do after my day. Maybe it's because of the breaks, who knows. But I am looking forward to my "long" Friday now more than before.

Already I'm making plans for my weekend. I'm excited that it's come around again - and so soon! Friday night is for washing my whites, and Saturday I think I will head to Jackson. Matt told me that it's approx. two and a half hours to anywhere when it comes to the big "cities" - Jackson, Bozeman, and Cody. To get to Jackson you need to go south through the Tetons and I've never seen them in the snow, so I'm excited for that. And, truly, I am hoping that Chris will be there. Being out of communication as I am here - I think I explained that already? - I have no clue what's going on with anyone. So I am hoping to magically get a text or voice mail from Chris once I'm within cell range informing me that he's returned to work in Jackson. We can hope, right?

I was thwarted today. AFTER work, not ten minutes ago. I bought a bottle of Beringer White Zinfandel (than you Wes for hooking me on White Zin wines). Then, I planned to share it with the girls, as they suggested we set aside a night to get together. Drinks and pool or something. Then I grew weak and wanted wine tonight. It's been sitting oh so nicely on my floor by my dresser for a week, calling me. So I ran it under cold water to bring the temp down (I prefer it really "chilled" but have no means to do that but to stick it in the snow for a while), and opened the top. Beringer White Zinfandel uses real corks. And good for them! And bad for me. No corkscrew. It must have been comical; me bending hopefully over the wine bottle on my dresser only to get the top off and quite aloud in this quiet room of just me to proclaim "CORK!".... I was thwarted. But I like Beringer White Zin, so instead of changing my wines to just those that come with twist tops (or heaven forbid the brightly colored box wines I know some drink, but only because it's cheap), I will simply purchase a corkscrew. I WILL NOT BE THWARTED FOR LONG!!! :)

I feel I am rambling now. These truly are my stories. Not much to tell. Daily activity. Work is fun. I quite like the girls - and Matt - that I work with. I would like for them all to stay EDR all season, but I know that only Shirley (the 69 year old woman) will remain. The others will be around though, all will be on location all year.

I got complimented on my food today. Someone loudly said "good lemon sauce" to Kelli behind the counter and I replied with a loud "thanks!" and then, on the way out, one of the guys (Don't know his name but I really like him) asked me - hopefully, I think - if I was staying all season. He seemed pleased I'll be here, I think he likes my work. And maybe my singing? No one has said anything, but I know some of them look at me twice when they hear it. I think it's funny because my singing voice is so unlike my lower speaking voice.

Anyway. That's my story, those are my exploits. I hope you've all had a good week. And I hope you all have a good weekend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment