Saturday, May 21, 2011

Management??

Today has been quite an adventure.
I got to at least frustrate Will Standage - the head EDR manager of the park. I like Will, and I didn't mean to frustrate him. But I don't believe it was my fault. We have been running off paper plates, cups, corn-product disposable 'silver wear', etc. As it happened, we only had the "big plates" that Will dropped off - though we have a bunch of "tiny plates". We've been running low for the last few days - since before Matt's Friday. He told me that "if Will calls, let him know we need more plates." He didn't go in search of Will, he didn't leave a message. He didn't actually DO anything. HE is the manager. Not me. For the last three days I've been watching them dwindle and dwindle. Today I realized we wouldn't have enough for tomorrow - and Matt won't be back until the day after tomorrow. SO, I asked around and found a directory for the park. I called Will's appointed number, and got whom I guess was his receptionist. He's at Grant. So I call Grant Village, get a cook there, ask for Will. It takes twenty minutes from "OMG NO PLATES!" to "Hi Will". Not hard. I tell him that we're almost out of plates. I don't pin ANYTHING on Matt, I don't want to blame anyone. I just tell the situation and ask what he could do for us. He gets frustrated - at me! - for not telling him sooner. Well, I'm sorry I didn't want to step on my new managers toes and go above his head and do what he should have done and I didn't know I had to take on his responsibilities and etc etc etc. I was frustrated. I was frustrated that I got reprimanded. I was frustrated that Matt didn't do his job in the first place.

Then it occurred to me. All last summer, as much as I truly LOVE Jake, I took on at least half of his job. I DID half of his job as a manager. And already this summer I foresee a similar circumstance opening up. It's not that I foresee Matt being bad at his job, I just foresee me taking on the responsibility and me just doing it. Just like I did with Jake. And I figure, if I'm going to do the job, why not have the title and everything that goes with it? Yes, it means I have to take the management courses. Yes, it means I'm salaried and will get crappy hours and have to pick up everyone's slack. It means anything that goes wrong falls on MY head, not the "guy above me." But other than TAKING the management courses, I've done it all already. I've had crappy hours, I've picked up slack, I take on the responsibility, I've had the head chef come down on MY head because something wasn't done. Why not get the pay, the title, and the nice roommate-less room that goes with it? I need the experience anyway. And if I do it, I won't HAVE to worry about stepping on toes, there'll be no toes to step on. I can do it. I KNOW without a DOUBT I can do it. It won't be easy, but Hell, since when do I want easy anyway?

So, I think that next summer, I'm going to apply for EDR manager. Hell yes.

Also, without trying to sound arrogant (though we all know all kitchen people have arrogance complexes) I had the best pasta salad I've ever had today. I also made it. I don't like most vinaigrette style pasta salads. Just don't. I don't like most mayo based ANYTHING, but especially pasta salads. I find the vinaigrette has too much jumbled loud sharp flavor that doesn't work and I find the mayo based doesn't have enough flavor. So I made a Tzaziki (spelling?) style base. Tzaziki sauce is a Greek thing. VERY good. Plain yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, dill, and cucumbers that have been seeded and salted and left to drain for a while. I added celery and chicken and cooked macaroni pasta to make a pasta salad. Not only did I really enjoy it, everyone who tried it liked it too. It needed more pepper than I put in there (oh yeah, and pepper), but other than that it was very good. I was impressed.

Anyway, that's my adventure. Most of it was mental revelation. I'd been so opposed to management here in the park... But I already practically have the job. And the more I think on it the more I want to try it. And really, I can't gripe and moan about the way any manager does his job if I'm not willing to do it myself. Ya know? So here we go! I've got a plan and it's gonna be a wild ride!!

No comments:

Post a Comment