Thursday, May 5, 2011

Second day update

Today I almost did not decide to so ramble at the computer. Until I remembered how I rambled yesterday. How - still justifiably I believe - negatively I rambled. That alone demanded I follow up and tell how the next day went.

Only one work-day later, not even a full 24 hours, I feel much better about life. I'm still not through the roof, but I'm better. I'm no longer fantasizing about asking for a transfer to OFI.

There are now five EDR people, including myself and Matt. Kelli - a girl who was here for the end of yesterday. Shirley - an older lady who is very enthusiastic. Monika - who will be the pub lead and has been in the Canyon kitchen in one form or another for three years - this will be her fourth. All of them are nice, all of them are easy enough to work with. I think the sheer addition of people eased my anxiety. Now the work load is shared, and we know what we're doing. Things come easier. We have a schedule. I have tomorrow and the next day off. Then I work mostly EDR crew breakfasts, only cooking on Matt's days off. That's fine by me. I like waking up early. I'm nervous about starting the place up but I know I'm capable.

Things are, all in all, much better. I don't automatically know everything like I do in the OFI, and I don't automatically know the working dynamic with people like I do with the people there. That was home. This is an adventure. And I'm sure by the end of the season, this could well be home instead. It's all good - to me, ultimately, the park is home. Bozeman and Jackson are my favorite towns. I'll be okay as long as I'm in Yellowstone.

My key doesn't unlock my door. I left it unlocked. Canyon people are just nice. Right now pre-season it's such a close community that no one would even think of rifling through or stealing my stuff. I entered my room and it was untouched. I don't expect problems until the masses come through. But before they get here personelle has to, and so by then I'll have my room, and a key that works. The biggest downside is that they won't get here for a week, approximately. Or so the girls and I guess. I don't want to unload everything just to have to load it up again. Heck, I don't want to have to haul it all through the snow into the room until it's THE room. I'm hoping by then enough snow will have melted to make life easier. So I'm going to go out - as soon as this is done - and unload only a bag or two. Just enough to make life really liveable. My giant suitcase I had to open for the sake of my work shoes and I'm not sure how it's going to close again in my car but it'll have to. I'm not unloading it, however. Just in case I don't even end up in the dorm I'm in right now.

I'm still tired. Sore. But life is okay. Not super fantastic yet. But it has potential. I think tomorrow I'm going to drive down to Old Faithful. See the people. Potentially stay the night since I don't have to work the next day. Enjoy my old home. I miss it. More than I thought I would. I had this idea in my head that I was connected to Yellowstone, not Old Faithful. But the villages inside the park are so much like their own towns, they are their own communities. And just like Portland would never be home to a Salem person, even though they're not an hour apart and still all in Oregon.... It just doesn't matter, does it?

Now, I'm off to organize this room and bring in a bit more life.

1 comment:

  1. I think that your last statement isn't always true. I think that if you want it to be home then so it becomes. Keizer was my home but Hillsboro is my home now. I enjoyed the time I spent downtown Portland.

    ReplyDelete