Saturday, May 21, 2011

Possibilities

You can tell, obviously, that I don't write every day. I will tell you, however, that every day, I sit here with my laptop and open "WordPad" and stare at the blank screen for a few minutes. Waiting for something to magically appear on the screen... I feel the urge, the need to write daily. I just don't have the content yet.
Most of the things to talk about are things that you'd need to be here for. I've taken a few pictures, but nothing can compare to first hand sights. I walked the Black Sand Basin two weeks ago. Didn't have my camera on me. The lack of camera made me realize, however, that even if I took pictures - especially of thermal features - that it wouldn't be the same. Even the beautiful, famous picture of Grand Prismatic (taken, I think, from a helicopter), while completely stunning, doesn't compare to standing there in front of it. And it's not because you can't smell the sulfur or feel the steam from the picture.... It's different. We all know what I'm trying to say, though I seem unable to articulate it properly.
So while I will post the pictures - mostly of the Tetons in the snow - know that it's not the same. Nothing will beat driving along near Lake, going up a hill and cresting it to see the snow topped mountains laid out before you perfectly flanked by trees on either side of the road. As you continue down the road, more of the mountains are revealed, only to be out of sight again as you turn a bend. That's why the maximum speed limit in the park is 45 - there is something around EVERY turn to take your breath away or stun you with it's amazing, simple, pure beauty.
I feel bad, truly, talking too much about it. Chances are good a good number of you will never get to see it. And I don't mean to boast, and I don't want you to think I'm exaggerating. Neither of those things are happening. That's really how it is around here, and I'm not trying to brag. I wish all of you who read this and everyone who DOESN'T read this could come see.
A few people are interested in coming this year. Krissy said she would try to find time and come out - potentially bring her new boyfriend. That'd be cool. Krissy is skilled with a camera and her photos of her experience would be priceless. Darrek said he'd love to come out with his girlfriend and let me show them around. They're great fun and neither of them have seen the park, it'd be an awesome experience for Derrek and Kayla both. Anyone else I can entice, I'd love to show you around. Chris could show us around the Tetons (as he has more experience there), and I could tour you through the park. You could be here a year, hiking and traveling and sightseeing EVERY day, and still not be done. I'd like to add the threat of "this might be my last year here" but that's a lie. I know I'll be back next year. Am thinking about maybe trying for a pub job - that sounds like great fun for me. I love working with/for the employees.
I've been thinking a lot about 'following the sun' or at least 'following the lack of snow'. I've heard great things about Death Valley in the winter, no snow, lowest temps around 40 or 50. Hassan did it last year said he spent the winter swimming and in Vegas on weekends. Said he loved it. Someone else told me they TRY to rope you in with year long contracts, because no one wants to do Death Valley in the summer. I wouldn't do it for a whole year, but I might look into it for the winter. I've also heard that Zion only gets a little snow, and has moderate temperatures. I've ALSO been thinking about wintering here. Or applying for jobs around the Tetons or in Jackson. Randy told me today that Hawaii has a lot of seasonal positions. Anywhere that is a resort town probably has a lot of seasonal work, it's just if I could get in. We shall have to see, I think!
Part of it will depend on where I can get Chris to agree to. After years of long distance with Michael, and now it'll be a year of long distance with Chris, I'm NOT doing it again. I don't regret being in a distance relationship - with either Michael or Chris, but I'm done. Part of it will certainly have to be where Chris and I can compromise on staying.
Part of it will be where we can GET jobs. Part of it will be on what we want at the time. Etc. But I'm ready to keep adventuring. Breaks are one thing, but to hibernate during the winter safe at home like some contented black bear goes against my gypsies' soul. (or so it's been dubbed)

No comments:

Post a Comment